Sheldon Aubut's Duluth History
Bradley building would have been in the open area to the right of the Electric Fetus. This area is now an entrance to the LakeWalk and was cut in size to make way for the widening of Lake Avenue.
Entrance to LakeWalk, Lake Superior Fountain - No Photo
Bradley Building (office building) 1924-1980
Artist: Ben Effinger 1951-
India Black Granite for Lake, Bronze for Dome under Lake
20 wide, 14.5 high weighing 40 tons.
"Black granite embodies the mystery, grandeur, and unyielding qualities of Lake Superior. The cut represents navigation on the Lake and creates visual energy between the rough outer edge and the smooth inner edge. Water sheeting over the stone from the top, then free falling to the bronze dome causes a resonant murmuring sound much like the Lakes ceaseless action upon the shore. The water is caught in a circular basin of north shore stones and then the cycle starts over again."
- Ben Effinger, Sculptor
Ben Effinger graduated from Duluth Cathedral High School in 1970. He studied design at San Diego City College, photography at the College of St. Scholastica, carpentry at the Duluth Technical Institute and Visual Art at the University of Wisconsin, Superior. Mr. Effinger has had exhibitions at UWS, the Tweed Museum of Art, Kruk Gallery, and the Duluth Art Institute. His work is represented in collections of First Bank Corporation, Tweed Museum and numerous private collections.
12-14 East Superior Street
Presently: Electric Fetus
Previously : Bijou Theater, Empress Theatre, Famous Clothing Store
Architect: Emmet Palmer and WilliamHunt
Style: Classical Revival
Painted brick face with stone trim, cast concrete keystones and an ornamental cornice.
Back to CityHistory.US
January 15, 2011
copyright © 1986-2013 , Sheldon T. Aubut, all rights reserved