Sheldon Aubut's Duluth History

J. J. Costello Hardware and Stoves

Building 1 - 1884, building 2 was added in 1887.

Domains $7.49 - Why Pay More?costello.gif (54481 bytes)

 

22-24 E Superior Street

Presently: Abalans / Master’s Piano Shop

Previously: John J. Costello Building, / Costello Hardware & Stoves / Rainey & French Furniture Company

Built: 1884 & after 1887

Architect: Oliver Traphagen & George Wirth

Style: Richardsonian Romanesque Revival

 

The brownstone for this building was quarried at Ingall’s Quarry in Fond du Lac.

Although this appears to be one building, the half at 24 Superior was completed in 1884 as John Costello’s Hardware. Two years later , as the hardware business grew, the building’s size was doubled. By 1897 Costello Hardware was gone. This building has red brick facing, a metal cornice with brackets and dentils. Presently the storefront is aluminum clad with glass tile band (YUCH!).


Back to CityHistory.US

Contact:  webmaster@cityhistory.us

Last modified: April 05, 2010
copyright 1989-2006, Sheldon T. Aubut, all rights reserved

Hit Counter