Sheldon Aubut's Duluth History
TOUR OF OLD DULUTH
In 1888 the City Council created the first four city parks. Portland Square which was one city block at 10th Avenue East and Fourth Street, Chester Park was 69 acres, Cascade Park on Mesabi Avenue was 49 acres and was originally acquired by the city in 1869, and what was then known as Lincoln Bank which followed the Millers Creek in the West End.
Chester Park was NOT named after Chester Congdon as many presume, but rather after Charles Chester. He was one of the earliest homesteaders in the East End of Duluth. Chester Congdon did not move to Duluth until 1892, and moving into his famous Glensheen Mansion in 1908.
Chester Bowl was owned by the Duluth Ski Club which was chartered in 1905 until later when they deeded it to the City of Duluth.
Duluth has one of the largest per-capita park and municipal areas in America.
Early 1900s there was a festival in Duluth each year called the Lark O the Lake.
Mark Ryan's "History of Seven Bridges Road" web site.
Books about Duluth and the region available from Amazon.com:
Boomtown Landmarks (Discover Duluth) - by Laurie Hertzel
Sam Cook's "Campsightes"
Chronicles of Aunt Hilma and Other East Hillside Swedes - by Michael Fedo
Barton Sutter's "Cold Comfort: Live at the Top of the Map"
Craig and Nadine Blacklock's "The Duluth Portfolio"
Destination Duluth (Port Cities of North America) by Martin Hintz
Duluth; The City and the People - by Chuck Frederick
Duluth/Superior Funbook - by Julie Ryan
Duluth Tour Book; An Illustrated Guide to Historic & Fun Places - by Jeff Cornelius
Friendship Fires - by Sam Cook
Ghostly Tales of Lake Superior - by Claire W. Schumacher
House of Stone : The Duluth Benedictines - Mary R. Boo
The Raleigh Street Saga : Shattering the Legend - by Claire W. Schumacher
Trains of the Twin Ports Photo Archive : Duluth-Superior in the 1950s - by Marvin Nielsen
Up North - by Sam Cook
Back to CityHistory.US
January 15, 2011
copyright © 1986-2013 , Sheldon T. Aubut, all rights reserved