Sheldon Aubut's Duluth History
Old Police Station
126 East Superior Street
Presently: Architectural Resources Inc.
Previously: Old Duluth City Jail
Built: 1891, after city hall
Architect: Oliver G. Traphagen, Duluth
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque Revival
This building was restored by Architectural Resources in 1968-69. It is one of the best examples of this style of architecture in the area. Carved pediment, stone balustrade on the cornice, and wonderful brownstone carvings, including "police", on the facade. The brownstone was quarried at Mr. Edward Ingalls Quarry at Fond du Lac Minnesota. The first skywalk in Duluth is still between the Court House and City Hall. Believed to have been installed sometime after 1920, it was used to transport prisoners between the Jail and Court House without going outside.
This is the Jail that was in use during the June 15th 1920 riots in which three black men, (lest we forget:) Elias Clayton, Elmer Jackson, Isaac McGhie, were hanged by a mob of 10,000. If you wish to learn more about this infamous event in Duluth history please read the books on the subject by Micheal Fedo.
The building was used as a jail until condemned by the state in 1941. During the 50s it was a restaurant, "The Southern Inc.".
Back to CityHistory.US
January 15, 2011
copyright © 1986-2013 , Sheldon T. Aubut, all rights reserved