Sheldon Aubut's Duluth History

Strand Theatre

The Strand Theatre was torn down by DEDA on September 21, 1998

strand1.jpg (10377 bytes)
Photo by Sheldon Aubut 1995

Domains $7.49 - Why Pay More?16 East Superior Street

Present Owner:            DEDA  (Duluth Economic Development Agency)
Previously:            Strand Theatre,originally built as Witt’s Meat Market, St. Paul Restaurant.
Built:                 1906
Architect:            W.A. Hunt
Style:                Commercial Queen Anne

 

There had been much talk about restoring and re-opening this theater in recent years but the Duluth Economic Development Agency let the building fall into disrepair and spurned every effort of groups to buy and rebuild the building.  It was finally torn down in 1998. 

Pressed brick painted white with a metal cornice, dentils, brick corbels, flat arches with keystones on the upper windows.  Storefront contains several cast iron columns manufactured by the Crown Iron Works of Minneapolis.

 

1935 -      Brander’s Music Shop
                Bellnet Furniture
                Strand Theatre
1950 -      Strand Theatre

 

 

 

9 January 1929 

Strand Theater closed

To Complete

The Installation

Of

The Perfected

Vitaphone and Movietone 

Will Re-open Saturday with 

The Spieler 

In Sensational Sound & Talking

With Alen Hale, Renee Adoree, Fred Kahler, Clyde Cook

A Saga of the Carnivals

Added Singing & Talking Attractions

Our Screen Will Speak!


RETURN

Back to CityHistory.US

Contact:  webmaster@cityhistory.us

Last modified: January 15, 2011
copyright 1986-2013 , Sheldon T. Aubut, all rights reserved

Hit Counter