Sheldon Aubut's Duluth History

Weiland Block

 

 

weiland1.jpg (12109 bytes)

Domains $7.49 - Why Pay More?26 East Superior Street

Presently:

Previously: H.P. Wieland Block, Goodwill Industries

Built: 1889

Architect: Oliver Traphagen

Style: Richardsonian Romanesque Revival

 

The MINNESOTIAN newspaper was published on this spot, prior to the construction of the H.P. Weiland Block, which was originally a furniture store.

Later the DULUTH NEWS-TRIBUNE, a descendent of the MINNESOTIAN, and several foreign language newspapers were published here.

Pressed red brick and a metal cornice with four squat piers, carved brownstone arched window surrounds, and pilasters carved with foliated capitals adorn the fourth floor. The third floor has transom and stone headings and decorative band that splits the second and third floors. Second floor windows have segmental arches, third floor has flat arches and the fourth floor has round window arches. These are all characteristic of the Romanesque style as expressed by architect Traphagen. Also there is Carrerra glass on the current storefront which was 1930’s Art Deco.


RETURN

Back to CityHistory.US

Contact:  webmaster@cityhistory.us

Last modified: January 15, 2011
copyright 1986-2013 , Sheldon T. Aubut, all rights reserved

Hit Counter